A useful way to understand a culture
is by examining the expressions people use in everyday conversation. These common
expressions, after all, reflect what most people in a given society believe
in or value.
What cultural value or belief do the following expressions reveal
about US-American culture? Select your response from each box. The first group of expressions is done for you.
He thinks he's better than so and so.
She's always putting on airs.
That person should be cut down to size.
It's gone to his head.
1. Talk is cheap.
2. Put your money where your mouth is.
3. He's all talk and no action.
4. She's always beating
around the bush.
5. Tell it like it is.
6. Straight talk, straight answer, straight shooter: that's what we
7. She did something with her life.
8. Nice guys finish last.
9. Every cloud has a silver lining.
10. Look on the bright side.
11. Tomorrow is another day.
12. Where there's a will
there's a way.
13. Stand on your own two feet.
14. Don't judge a book by its cover.
15. All that glitters isn't gold.